Thursday, July 31, 2008

Japanese-ish dinner recipes

If you're itching for noodles or chopsticks:

Aunt Lois's Marinade:
1/4 cup soy sauce
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 teaspoons minced ginger (I used jarred crushed)
1 garlic clove, pressed (I used jarred so I'm not sure how much I really used)
1 1/2 lbs. flank steak (We used 1 lb. flat iron steak)

Put everything into gallon bag, seal, mush around. Let sit in fridge about an hour or room temperature about 30 minutes. Discard marinade & grill 7 minutes (med) each side for medium rare. 

We also grilled yellow pepper, red onion, mushrooms & tomatoes to throw on top. I didn't do anything to the veggies except spray with Pam so they wouldn't stick.

Noodles:
Let's just say I flew by the seat of my pants on this one. But I bought 4 packets of Udon Noodles (found in produce section of grocery). I don't remember the size but they were relatively small. These had a chicken seasoning packet with it reminiscent of Ramen Noodles from the college days...

In a large saucepan, I combined:
3 tablespoons oil
roughly 2 cloves minced garlic
about 1-2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
a couple of shakes of chili powder
a couple of shakes of soy sauce
a couple of shakes of rice vinegar
1 of the seasoning packets

Heat on medium, add noodles, cook through tossing until noodles are hot & sauced. Very technical as you can read but worked well for us. You can make as spicy as you want. I didn't have Tabasco but if had, probably would have used it instead of the chili powder.



No comments: