Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Random Tidbits from Japan

So I have a couple of random tidbits that didn't necessarily fit into a specific day/event during our trip. The first is the fake food. Pretty much every "sit down" restaurant has it to some degree to showcase their items. From what I hear, it's pretty pricey to get "good fake food". I think it's hilarious. But I also think it's there because there is a language barrier at times (there are over 3000 characters that make up the Japanese written language) so one can just go point & nod. Next interesting tidbit - the toilet situation. Yeah, where does this fit in? And should I even be writing about it on a family-friendly blog? Take a look at the pictures & tell me how I could not include them? The "squaty potty" is the traditional Japanese toilet. This was taken at the Golden Temple in Kyoto - my first experience. Oh, and remember your change as you have to purchase paper... Not good for one who waits until the last minute. Then we get not-so-traditional or really just down-right modern with the next picture. This is actually an arm off the toilet that has options for the user. I'm not sure how well it pictures (although you can double click on any of the pix & they enlarge) but there is a button for a "shower", one for "flushing noise" - you get the picture. Some even offer heated seat... My third tidbit was the slippers. In case you weren't sure what they are for, they are labeled "toilet" & you can only wear them in the bathroom. Actually some restaurants where you take your shoes off offer slippers to slide on in case you need to use the restroom during your visit. These fun green ones were at our inn at Amanohashidate. I considered trying to find some to bring home to have in our guest bath, but thought better of it. Lastly, the Alcoholic bar. We got a good giggle out of this bar sign. Hey, there's no pot calling the kettle black here. 



No comments: