Friday, August 7, 2009

Ode to Mormor

I'm out of chronological order in adding this one but I just couldn't help myself. Mormor (mother's mother in Swedish) was my grandmother. If she were still with us, she would have been 100 this past July 16th. So I find myself reflective of her and her life this summer. 

She was that grandma that baked M&M cookies every time she was going to see us. Sometimes she would even send them (in Planter's cheese ball containers - I always wanted to the cheese balls too.) so we would get a care package. She played the piano and the organ for us. Even if she had played it countless times, she would keep playing "The Entertainer" over and over if we asked. She was just a special special lady. At any rate, as Sloan grows older I find myself reminded of Mormor with her. Her nose has always been Morm's, but occasionally from the side her upper lip is too. Sloan often has a song she's singing, but it's her own song... which anyone that knew Mormor knows she definitely marched to her own beat. She loves to get dressed up as Mormor was always so put together. 

I'm sure there are countless more similarities (eating off my plate, being stubborn, etc...) but the purse, the purse just cracks me up every time I look at it. Mormor was notorious for always having her purse with her. She carried it all the time regardless of where she was. For the longest time, I never quite knew what she carried in there and I certainly wasn't going to ask what was so important to move around the house with her room by room. As we both grew older she needed a little more help and I was more capable of giving it. So one night out to dinner I snuck a peek. I can't be very specific as to the contents, but there were Sweet n' Low packets, Saltines, tissues, all sorts of random things. So now I watch Sloan slink her purse on her arm, at the crook of her elbow and truck it around the house from room to room. So to commemorate Mormor's 100th birthday, I took a picture of Sloan's purse. There are playing cards, princess doll dresses, princess DVD inserts, again all sorts of random things! 


No comments: